Friday, September 17, 2010

Students Bill of Rights 2.0

Mid-twenties and wanting a Master's or a Doctorate, I have a checklist of things universities have to do before I go for the big diploma. 

  • All Online: I want to be able to go to a school in Russia or Argentina, or an Ivy League American while I happen to be working in Russia or Argentina.  Hell, I want to go to a school in hometown New York, I just don't want to brave the subway there and have the right to attend class in my pajamas.  

  • Interactive Courseware: I'm not talking about a video lecture of some guy and a . pdf textbook.  I want a powerpoint of all the lecture points, but I just don't want photos and text.  I want it to include graphs I can manipulate.  I want my textbook to have embedded malleable diagrams, short relevant video segments, periodic Likert-Scale ratings of my comfortability with the text.  I want multiple chances to do problems and a intuitive pedagogical trouble-shooting system that gets what I don't.  I'll go so far as to say that I even demand a video game based on core course concepts.  

  • As Social As Real Life: I want to be able to attend classes naked, smoking a joint and eating some oatmeal on my day off, but that doesn't mean I don't want to make meaningful connections with people in my field of study.  I want a micro-Facebook/Twitter/Youtube/Facetime meets the University where I can get significant help and collaboration from my peers.  I want to know them and I want them to know me.  

  • F*** Paper!  I've bought thousands of textbooks, I've carried hundred-pound bags around complicated urban environments, I've endured thousands of papercuts, I'm a green person, I'm a….do I have to go on?  I don't want to deal with paper, got it??!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment