Friday, September 17, 2010

Sex, Lies and Streaming-Video Smartphones

Web analytics firms have been getting wild lately, associating trends with operating systems.  They assert, for instance that while iOS users have more pet fish, Android-users go harder for birds.  They make male/female distributions over RIMM's Blackberry OS, Palm's webOS, iOS and Android.  Even the Wall Street Journal is throwing down headlines like "iPhone users eat chicken, Android prefer more ribs".   Who's more affluent, Blackberry or iPhone users?  Who visits Youngstown, Ohio more, Motorola Droid users or HTC Evo Droid users?  Who downloads the most apps per month?  Who prefers Nikes over Pumas?

All of this is naturally very interesting...until we hit sex.  Then unfortunately, the numbers become so unbelievable that it calls into question all of our previous assumptions about Android users loving more pork-bellies and iPhone users having a significant Disneyland over Disneyworld preference.  Check out the okCupid's sexual partner distribution that got so much press in early August if you don't believe me.

I'm a fairly conservative married man and even I find these numbers preposterous.  Am I really supposed to believe that the average male Android user has had only 6 sexual partners by the age of 30?  They must have meant to write 20, no?  Without doing an official census of my male Android user friends, I could say that just my empirical fly-on-the-wall observations of them leaving parties with girls (without knowing their romantic lives-nontangent to me) would put them at nearly an order of magnitude above this six.

The numbers, in case you weren't so inclined as to click the link above are Android (M:6.0; W:6.1), BlackBerry (M:8.1, W:8.8) and iPhone (M:10, W:12.3).  Seriously.  You know I may live in decadent Manhattan but those figures seem to me like 24-36-month figures and not lifetime.  That a on-the-go-young-professional female Blackberry user has 3 partners a year, I could see that, that she's had 8.8 in her entire life? Please, she probably had 8.8 her first two years as an undergrad.

I don't mean for this to be a naughty, dirty post, I just find that the sexual partner numbers are so seemingly fraudulent that I'm finding it hard to swallow all these favorite-bank-by-OS and shopping-habit-by-OS analytics.

Somebody call Dr. Kinsey on this one!

3 comments:

  1. wow. that's a nasty statistic. does that mean if i have an iphone i have a better chacce at having sex with a girl than, say, the dude with the pay as you go phone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I don't agree with statistics from okCupid I would say you unequivocally have a better chance than a guy with a pay-as-you-go-phone

    ReplyDelete
  3. some girls like pay as you go guys. usually they're foreigners

    ReplyDelete